Thursday, July 1, 2010

Competitions and Cats...

Hi all,

Up late again (came back from Orlando a while ago and my sleeping clock doesn't wanna go back to normal. Plus its reeeally unusually hot in Ireland lately!) So I decided to update the blog. I'm just doing sketches at the mo in prep for entering the Imagineers comp Disney runs every year. Sadly I cant actually post pics of what we're doing for obvious reasons buuuuut...

I rooted and dug up a picture of the mask I made for my last module in 2nd year. The project was done in conjunction with the Natural History Museum here in Dublin.

Basically we went along to the "Dead Zoo" exhibition in Collins Barracks (some animals were there while the museum was being done up) and started sketching animals, doing different studies etc. We then choose an animal to do a realistic sculpt of, and one which we'd then turn into a puppet or costume for a show at the end of the year. We'd also wear our finished pieces to the reopening of the museum.



The mask is a lil tossed in this photo cos i hadn't brushed the ears. I was really pleased with how it turned out and I really liked working with the fur I'd chosen. The inner ears are pink latex painted onto the vacformed plastic mask. I used the same latex to make paw pads, which I'm now raging I don't have a good photo of. The college now owns the costume I made. Mind you, I'm still waiting to be paid back for the materials...

[EDIT: Just realised the photo doesn't have the long tufts of fur the final mask did, which'd make it much more difficult to realise it was a lynx! Shame cos they were my favourite part...]

Incase you can't tell from the mask (and a lot of people couldn't even with the full suit sadly), the animal I chose is the Lynx. Which is smallish wild cat. I do love cats, and I managed to earn myself the title "Crazy Cat Lady" in college. I guess it didn't help I just got a new kitten and was obsessing over him. You might hear about my kitten, Tugger, a bit on this blog. He follows me around a fair bit, which includes keeping me company in my mess of a studio!

Right, back to the sketchbook I guess.
Bennessy posted on his blog that it takes 10,000 hours of practice become awesome at something, guess I've a good few hours to go yet!

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment